Monday 30 September 2013

Bible Challenge

I was thinking this morning about how many people look at their phone as soon as they wake up, whenever they have 5 minutes to spare during the day (or just want to look busy) and last thing at night.

I wondered what it would be like if Christians, instead of looking at their phones, read their Bibles at these times.

It seems like such a small thing, but if we all did it, I think it would make a big difference. For a start, people would be more aware of Christians in society, and also our Biblical knowledge would be better. And you never know, it could lead to some interesting conversations.

So I have challenged myself to carry my Bible around whenever I go out, and to look at it (or at least have it visible) whenever I would usually have my mobile out. For example, on the table at a coffee shop. And having a Bible app just doesn't cut it. That would be too easy and would be no witness as no-one else would physically see a Bible.

So the first place I took my Bible today was to the doctor's surgery, I got it out and read it instead of the old magazines in the waiting room. I read a couple of chapters of Acts. It was good. No-one screamed and threw me out.

At Starbucks today, I was too busy talking to actually read it, but it was sitting next to my mobile on the table, visible to anyone who happened to pass.

I am hoping that one day someone will notice and ask me about it, but for the moment I am happy to spend a bit more of my time thinking about God and less time simply wasting time.

I wonder if anyone else would like to join me on my challenge?



Be the change you want to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment